Museum of local history in Muuruvesi
The Registered Association of local cultural heritage, Muuruveden Kotiseutuyhdistys ry, was founded in 1962, already 60 years ago. The first museum was opened in 1965 in an old warehouse of grain. The society warmly welcomes you to the local Museum situated in the center of Muuruvesi just downhill of the church . Street address Muuruvedentie 24, 73460 Muuruvesi.
Muuruvesi is a former municipality (190-1971) in North Eastern Savo, East Finland. Nowadays Muuruvesi is an active rural village of Kuopio town. Distance to Kuopio by car 45 km and to Helsinki 450 km.
The Museum exhibits a wide collection of local history in terms of photos and artefacts in three different Museum buildings. The main exhibition in an old timber house presents the history of Muuruvesi.
The story of Muuruvesi is on exhibit in the main building. Downstairs key thames are seaway and ships, church, scool, agricultural school and years of the second world war 1939-1945. Upstairs, on the other hand, there are hand made bark things such as baskets, bottles, shoes etc. The artifacts were made from the late 19s century until the 1960.
Because of renovation of the two museum buildings the exhibition this summer (2022) is restricted to the main building.
There are hunting and fishing items in the granary building. The upper floor is made to look like an old smoke house without chimney.
The third building contains old agricultural machinery like sleighs and a thresher.
Entrance fee: Adults 5€, Children (8-15 years) 3€
For guidance in english call Anna Koivukoski, 050-547 37 88
kotiseutuyhdistys.muuruvesi(at)gmail.com, Anna Koivukoski, 050 547 37 88